I thought to myself, "This can't be good."
The week before, I had gone for my annual well-woman exam and, as usual, had a full blood panel done. My doctor informed me via email that my blood glucose was abnormally high and that she thought it was a fluke, but to be sure, wanted me to come back for another blood test to rule out any weirdness. I went back, had the blood test and didn't think much of it. When the nurse asked me why I was back again so soon, I explained to her that my glucose was high at my last visit and that it was probably because I had only had an iced coffee, no food, and it was probably the sugary creamer that had made my glucose high.
She asked what my glucose was. "One-ninety," I replied. At the time, that number meant absolutely nothing to me. I kind of started to worry when the nurse said, "Honey, I could drink the entire bottle of creamer and my glucose wouldn't get that high." Ruh roh.
A few days later, I was standing in the kitchen of a house where I was house/dog sitting when my phone rang. I recognized the number as being from Medical City because of their unique string of numbers: 566-77XX.
"Hi, Kelly?"
"Yes?"
"This is Dr. X. How are you?"
"Good! How are you?" (Why is my doctor calling me? Why isn't her nurse calling me?)
"Good...So, I got your blood work back and your glucose was still high. One-twenty one."
So, I was thinking, "Whew, down from 190, this is okay. You are okay."
Then she said, "The cut off for fasting glucose is one-twenty."
"Okay, so what does that mean?"
"Well, Kelly...I think you have Diabetes..."
All I could hear was my heartbeat. All of the stupid blood in my body rushed to my face and I leaned over the granite counter tops to brace myself.
(In my head, I was thinking, "Saaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaat?!" "Did she just say Diabetes?" "Kelly, focus, she's still talking." "Get a pen." "Write this down.")
She gave me a list of endocrinologists to call to make an appointment with for more blood work and to have my A1c test done. A1 what? A1 is a steak sauce.
Or so
Or so
No comments:
Post a Comment